Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Curse of Low Tier Mains

This is a discussion about how people treat certain players who decide to main characters lower on the tier list. I am a believer that most of the characters are able to be played at a very high level, high enough to win any of our current national events, if played properly. In the future this will change as there are characters who are definitively better than some others. Like a Shiek will be better that a Mii Swordsfighter, it just will happen as both characters have maximum levels they can be played at, and Shiek's frame data allows for her cap to be higher. But I feel we currently treat people developing the game play of low teir characters unfairly. I heard someone say once, I believe it was Esam, but I am not positive, say that if you decide to play a low tier character, you aren't actually competitive. He claimed you didn't want to be successful in the game, you just wanted to be the best as that character maybe, but not the best in the game. Now I feel that this is false. Some people can see certain things in characters that the general public does or didn't see until they brought it to light. And to this I will give the example of Hyuga, the best Mexican Smash 4 player there is, who plays none other than Toon Link. Hyuga really showed the world what a competitive Toon link can do, and I feel that if there weren't people such as Hyuga, the game wouldn't develop to it's true potential. There are many characters that are able to be played at high levels, even those that we consider currently to be low tiers. I think that currently, low tier mains are just as deadly as an equally skilled high tier main. For this I will site my own situation. I currently main Charizard, just about the bottom of the bottom on the tier list. My brother and best friend, main Cloud and Zero Suit Samus. We are all fairly equal in skill level, we all have our own unique strengths amongst each other, I have superior tech skill, my brother is better at getting reads and reactions, my friend is really great at turning from offensive to defensive, but we pretty much go back and forth, despite me using a character that is thought to be much worse. Like I said previously, characters aren't everything when we talk about how successful the character can be, its the players who pick them.

No comments:

Post a Comment