Thursday, February 4, 2016

First Thoughts - Corrin

Corrin was the character I was most excited for when I heard about the three characters being released during the final Smash Direct. Corrin seemed like an interesting twist on a swordsman, and seemed almost like the dragoon class from the Final Fantasy games. The trailer that was shown hyped the character quite a bit, showing off some of the more iconic things she can do. Right away when I downloaded her, I didn't feel the interest I thought I would when it came to playing her. The character is good, don't get me wrong, just not what I was hoping. Her moves are all very obvious, just like every other swordsman. Her specials are what makes her unique, and really what elevates her over the other swordsman in the game. My friend took a liking to Corrin and I must admit, she can be really good when played properly. He does an amazing job with the character and I think he really showed me that she is going to be someone that I have to look out for.

Let's talk about some of her moves. Her side special turns her arm into a lance, pinning herself and opponents caught in the way to the stage. Out of this she can swing forward or behind her to attack incoming opponents. This move is really powerful, kills, and is a solid mix up. Her up special is really good too. It kills at high mid percents, and recovers quite a long way. I have seen it be fairly easy to get stuck under stages, but that could be because the character is still new. I think that her recovery is sub par, but the up B is still good none the less. Down special is a counter that attacks on both sides and is crazy powerful. Easily the best counter in the game. I think that this will elevate her play level a lot. Her neutral special stuns opponents by shooting out a ball of energy, kind of similar to Zero Suit Samus' Neutral B, but does more damage. It also hurts enemies who try to attack you from the front after, as the mouth of a dragon shuts on them. Her grab and throws aren't great. I don't know everything about them but back throw can combo into side b which is quite a bit of percent. Forward smash is insane. Probably one of the best in the game. Does insane damage, knock back, and has a sweet spot at the end of it that kills so early. Not to mention it has absolutely absurd range. like it covers at least a fifth of most stages... Ridiculous. Other smashes aren't great, up smash has a hard to hit sweet spot but works well when it hits similar to Wii Fit Trainer. Down Smash hits in both directions simultaneously, fairly good for covering the ledge get up options. Up air kills early. Back air, Neutral air and Forward air all auto cancel off of a short hop. Forward air has great range and speed. Down air dives down and spikes yourself and your opponent. Overall, I love the character, just not one that I see myself playing currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment