Monday, April 25, 2016

Fun vs Competitive

Now this argument pretty much has been going on for a long time in the communist, but I wanted to give my two cents on this hot topic. Now I will preface this by saying that I am a competitive person by nature, and that has made me a competitive player, or strive to be one at least. That does not mean that I do not have fun playing this game, but I enjoy winning the games I play and becoming one of the best as I play them. Now obviously there are a lot of limiting factors to the competitiveness of this game, some can't, some don't want to, some don't have the reaction time, and many others. But, I think that this game really isn't meant to be competitive, despite wanting it to be. To start off, Sakuri himself has stated that he did not intend to make Super Smash a competitive game when he set out to make it, it was meant to be something that friends would play casually. Now this game has been taken to some extremes by many players, wanting to always be better and striving to be the best. I think that this game just has too many flaws to try and be a competitive game, because getting to the point of being an eSport would contradict what this game can do. This game is extremely defensive, and most people don't play it as that. Most people like making things "hype" or entertaining, the thing that draw in a crowd for an eSport. But, to completely be the best at this game you have to be extremely defensive. This isn't fun to watch. Now if we were an eSport, we would drive our community away by having not very interesting games as we got more and more competitive. This seems extremely contradictory, and is not something that would be part of a competitive game. No matter how good of combos or flashy things you can pull off, someone can just be more defensive and not let you get in or even attempt to approach. This is probably my main claim that this game is not competitive. I want this game to be as competitive as possible, just as many of you do, but I am worried that that will mean it won't be as fun to play or watch anymore. So overall, what i'm trying to say is, have fun with this game. You only have so much time to play it. Not all of your are going to be the best. But don't let that make you not try and be better than your friends! I think this game is great a friendly competitive level, but wish that it could be so much more than that. This game is an escape for many of you, including myself, and I love it no matter the form it is in. I think that this game is overall extremely fun to play, and that is what makes us want to become better at it. Thanks for reading and I by no way meant to say that we shouldn't be having tournaments, just stated the paradox situation we could create if we don't prevent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment