Thursday, September 24, 2015

The End of Grey's Anatomy

Grey's Anatomy has been a wildly successful and popular show for more than a decade. The show has had periods of attraction by multiple different viewing groups, mostly females, but the age groups have definitely shifted throughout the years. Originally the average viewing age was out of college, but much more recently it has become popular throughout high school aged kids. The show and writer, Shonda Rhimes, has done lots of things right to the show in the past, but recently in my opinion, has started the beginning of the end of this twelve year long series. The show has experienced lots of demographic changes in it's fan base, just because of how long it has been on, and I don't think it is possible to satisfy everyone who is watching the show. The series itself has faced issues just because of it's longevity, having seen characters die in the show because they had to pursue  other interests in their careers, or simply didn't want to work any longer. This has caused major uproars from fans who have witnessed the characters they have watched grow and develop, learn their secrets, and become part of their lives disappear. This is going to be happening to more and more characters as the show continues to survive, and eventually, Meredith Grey, will no longer be able to part of the show, and I believe this will bring about the end. I don't necessarily think that the end is a bad thing, yet more often than not I am very pleased by the ending of a good show. I feel it is more important to me that the show maintains its integrity as a solid show until the end than it is for it to stay on a year or two longer. This leads me to how I am feeling what has to happen with the Grey's Anatomy. I feel like the show is losing too many of the old iconic characters, and continuing it with a fresh set of people does not seem like the right approach. I hope that the Rhimes will keep the show being a fantastic show, and realize when it is time to bring the show to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment